Friday, December 15, 2006

Stick a Fork in Us... We're Done







We have reached the end game of our little saga. We are back in our hotel in .... OK, I give up: it's Chennai. Tomorrow morning we visit the orphanage and 'foundling house', and then in the afternoon we have to check out and move to our transfer hotel. We will leave for the airport at about 1 AM to check in for our 11-hour flight to London that leaves at 4 AM. After a 6-hour layover in Heathrow, we board our final 10-hour flight home. We will probably be pretty grumpy when we arrive. In fact, I'm already grumpy. I mean, we're flying coach! Bill, Bruce, I can hear you laughing. Erika will be picking us up at the airport in Seattle. Right, Erika?

Today, we hit one more temple as our guide was concerned that we had not filled our quota. This one was pretty interesting, if for no other reason that there were parrots. The town of Kancheepuram, where the temple was located, also just happened to be one of four centers for silk weaving in India. I think you can figure out for yourselves what we did next.

I saw a couple of new signs today on the bus ride into Chennai. The first was hanging over the entrance of one of the ubiquitous institutes and academies here. It read: "Central Footwear training Institute". The other was a billboard advertising sarees with built-in cell phone pockets.

OK, well... I guess this is our last post from India. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed it. Ummmm..., well, see ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has been great traveling with you. Both pictures and text are quite extraordinary. I think you have a book-in-waiting here.

Were you any where near the fishing villages that were wiped out in the 2004 tsunami? Any guides mention it?

Good trip Home!