Saturday, January 30, 2010

I'm not complaining... really!





Whenever I travel to someplace that is really hot and humid, the only thing I can think about until I acclimate is how hot and humid it is. Such is the case with Bangkok. I knew it would be this way, but still. The nice thing about Bangkok is that it is built around the Chao Phraya River, and when you are on the river there is a nice breeze and the weather feels about perfect. This might explain why it seems like the entire population of the city is travelling on the river at any given time. It’s a visual feast. Today, I traveled up the river, first to visit the Grand Palace, and then further to the northern outskirts of the city to the flower markets in Thewet. The Grand Palace was, well Grand, as you would expect, but also very crowded. We were here 20 years ago with the kids when they were pretty little, and it hasn’t really changed.

The flower markets that I had been told about sell mostly fish and meat. I suspect a translation error in my communications somewhere along the line. In any case, this was a more satisfying excursion as there were no tourists and fewer crowds. The people (mostly women) in the stalls were very friendly and were happy to let me take pictures. Even the men, who did not so much work the stalls, were friendly. I’m not sure what I will be doing tomorrow, but I am sure that it will involve being on the river.

No comments: