Monday, March 09, 2009

Rainy (snowy) Day Stuff



I am so bored that I have taken to photographing toasters. Not really bored, but I am too spoiled to go trudging out into the wilderness to take pictures when it is this cold outside. I prefer to endure hardship when its warmer. Anyway, I have decided to try my hand at still lifes. A still life is usually an artificial arrangement of objects that stays put and doesn't talk back. Usually they are constructed indoors where it is warm. The key to a successful still life is an artistic and appealing arrangement coupled with dramatic and creative lighting. This is very time-consuming to get right. A perfect activity when there is a blizzard (drizzle) howling outside.

So here are a couple of examples of what I have been up to. I will probably do more because it is supposed to stay cold for the rest of the week. I have bought a new studio strobe to help me get the lighting right (you can never have too many strobes). It should arrive next week.

1 comment:

DeeDee said...

Hey Mike - I enjoy your pics! After this wedding madness is over I plan on taking a photography class, so this is good inspiration!