Thursday, September 20, 2007

Rick Steves Must Be Stopped






I have noticed this ever since we arrived in Italy, but its presence in Venice is more pronounced than elsewhere: we are living in a post-Fodor’s world, and Rick Steves is now the dominant travel-culture guru for Americans. This is plainly evident by witnessing the mobs outside of Steves’ recommended restaurants, and with more careful observation, travelers can be seen to try and take advantage of all of the quirky “tips” that he provides to bypass long lines at popular attractions. His influence is now so great that the only way to successfully navigate this city is to employ counter-tips. One must think “What would Rick do?” and then act in a contrary manner.

Today was a shopping day for Carol. Yes, I know that’s redundant. I should have said that today was a successful shopping day for Carol in that she cleaned out an antique jewelry shop of their old earrings. If you see her wearing them, tell her that you like them. I spent the day at the fish market, but I didn’t buy anything.

Carol has mentioned to me that I have not posted any photos of the gondolas, and that people may not believe that we are really in Venice (Italy) if I don’t. So, I am posting a gondola picture taken from our balcony.

This is our last night in Venice, so we are going to San Marco after dinner to sit and listen to the music, drink overpriced bellinis and get charged coperto (cover charge) and servicio (mandatory tip) for the privilege. Please note that Rick Steves does not recommend this.

No comments: